Sunday, May 12, 2019

Week 3 - Be Green Challenge

Jinia Lee
Blog Post #3

Going into week 7 of the quarter, I am becoming more unmotivated and burnt out from school. This is usually the time when I start spending more money on things because I am procrastinating and sales are tempting. In relation to Kawamura's Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion, I agree that technology and the internet makes it easier to influence others about fashion trends or just encouraging others to buy. Lately, there's been so many videos of clothing hauls recommended to me on YouTube and it's difficult to not watch them.

Although I did not fall into temptations from the haul videos, I still failed the challenge because I bought make up for myself and a dress shirt for my dad, but I feel conflicted because I don't feel bad, yet there's some guilt. When I was at H&M to buy the shirt, I would look at the tags and majority said "Made in Bangladesh" and it reminded me of True Cost which made me hesitate to buy it. In addition, I was reading the pamphlet about their Conscious Collection and it made me wonder how is it possible to have a Conscious Collection, but also sell clothes that are not part of it? Below is a video that a YouTuber made about H&M's Conscious Collection that I thought was interesting.




Other than that, I've done a good job at stopping myself from buying stuff and actually got secondhand clothing from a friend that was planning on donating her clothes. I noticed that there were so many pieces that were still new and never worn which led me to think about how senseless our consumerism can be and we won't realize it until we want to clean out our closets or are challenged to think about it.

Works Cited:

Kawamura, Yuniya. 2006. "Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion." Current Sociology 54(5):784-801.

Sarah Karver. "Is H&M Sustainable? | Conscious Collection + 2018 Report." YouTube. Retrieved 12 May 2019.

No comments: