Sunday, May 12, 2019

Week 3: Verduzco

Week 3
ASA 141
Be Green Challenge
Alejandra Verduzco






Week 3 of the Be Green Challenge and I have not had much difficulty of temptation to buy myself anything. However, I have had temptation to buy things for others. For instance, my fathers birthday passed and mothers day was today, I was really tempted to buy them clothes for other things not are not necessities but more of a luxury gift because they deserved it. It was also very difficult because this weekend was very eventful with the whole earth festival going on and going out Saturday night, I wanted to look cute but didn't like anything in my closet, I wanted something new and fresh. However, I made sure to keep this challenge in mind and not fall into temptation of buying a new outfit. So I ended up asking my roommate if I could have a look into her closet and possible come up with a new outfit. Luckily I was able to form a new fresh look for Saturday! The reason I wanted to get all dolled up was because I wanted to post a picture on social media showing off my outfit and style. Social media plays a major factor in high trend fashion. Most young adults these days rely on social media for approval on their style and wanting to fit into the current trends. Without even realizing young adults are the creators high fashion trends. For instance, Yuniya Kawamura's Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion describes how teenagers are the true influencers of the fashion world in Japan. However, is that really a good thing? In the US many teenage fashion icons often promote their outfits and attires they bought from companies such as Forever 21 and H&M, which as we saw in the documentary "True Cost," these companies are in relation to sweatshops and horrific labor conditions. According to the UltraViolet survey of Marlborough student body, 81% of the respondents said that they prioritize style and look when buying new clothes, while only 19% prioritize worker's wages or environmental impact. I for one was very affected when taking a look at the documentary, making me even more determined not to purchase any products from Fast Fashion companies. With that in mind I believe that the next few weeks of the challenge wont be to difficult. But then again.. we never know.

References:


Kawamura, Yuniya. “Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion.” Current Sociology, vol. 54,
no. 5, 2006, pp. 784–801., doi:10.1177/0011392106066816.


"True Cost" Netflix film. Directed by Andrew Morgan, 2015


Lange, Cameron. "Fast Fashion." The Ultra Violet. Marlborugh School Student Newspaper. February
6 (2019)


No comments: