Monday, May 20, 2019

Week 4: Be Green - Shang Her


Shang Her
Be Green
Blog #4

Image may contain: 1 personThis challenge has been easy for me because I often don't shop for myself but the difficult part was not shopping for other people or events. Just within 4 weeks, I've had two weddings where I help with decorations and had to purchase items. This past weekend I host the Hmong Student Union's 5th annual cultural show at UC Davis.
Image may contain: 3 people, including Amanda Vue and Ashley Vang, people smiling, textI purchase a few items for this event such as PVC pipes, props, snacks, and water. We also printed over 100 sheets of paper or the script, lists, and brochures. What was nice about this show was that most of the items were reused from last year and can be reused again for next year. 

Although I don't purchase clothing items for myself, I often eat out or to go which does cause more waste. When I go to McDonald's or In and Out, I would receive my food in a paper bag and my food would be wrapped in paper with print. After I'm done eating, all those paper items would just go in the trash. One thing I'd like to educate myself more on would be to compost. I don't eat big portions so I sometimes have leftovers that would go bad and needs to be tossed out. The hard part about composting for me is the start, how do I start and what can and can't be composted? I tried composting for a week but I didn't work. It started to smell and attract bugs so after that I stopped and haven't tried again. I think it's also difficult when you live with other folks who don't compost because then I don't follow through and get caught up in just tossing everything in the trash bin. 

No comments: