Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Week 5

Mahima Rupakula
913734418
5/28/19

Week 5: Be Green Challenge

This week's be green challenge was also successful, as I again didn't have any time to go shopping. However, I was really tempted to buy clothes from a brand I just discovered called "Indya." I really liked this brand due to the way it modernizes eastern fashion without losing the culture behind a lot of kurtas and suits. I've attached a picture of my favorite outfit from the website below. A way that I could recreate this outfit without actually consuming and adding to fashion waste is by making it out of older silk outfits that I own. I have very little sewing knowledge, so that might be very difficult. However, that would be one way to re-purpose old clothes while bringing elements of culture into my fashion. I thought about how I could try to make my own clothing this way because I was inspired by how much of the Hmong fashion we learned about in class this week was handmade. The Hmong fashion had such intricate appliques and styles of stitching that cutting and hemming one of my old kurtas should be possible? We'll see how that adventure goes.


Sources:

1. “Paj Ntaub or Story Cloth.” Hmong Attire, www.hmongembroidery.org/hmongattire.html.

2. “Indo Bottoms - Buy Cigarette Pants, Palazzo Pants, Sharara Pants Online - Indya.” Houseofindya, www.houseofindya.com/women-clothing/indo-western-bottoms/cat.

No comments: