Sunday, May 19, 2019

Week 4 - Verduzco

Week 4
Be Green Challenge
Alejandra Verduzco
5/19/19

Week 4 of the Be Green Challenge and I have yet to buy anything that wasn't food. This past week I didn't have much temptation to buy anything due to the fact that I have overloaded with midterms and papers. However once that was over my friends and I were planning on places to go to distress and just have some down time to relax. Many of my friends suggested going to the Sacramento mall and other such areas that could lead to a lot of temptation, however, we luckily just walked around downtown Davis which didn't lead to any temptation except spending about $40 on food, but that was because I went out with my friends and I had forgotten that same day I was going to go eat with my new future roommates. I just really don't understand the need for purchasing so many clothes. If anything people should be making their own clothes that way it gives them something to work hard on and is more sustainable. We should be more like the Hmong people as they reject the concept of fast fashion and use their talents and time to design textiles art that allows them to create pieces showing self-expression. Because of their talent to create new unique textiles, they contribute to the safety of the environment and people by not participating in the fast fashion industry. As much as I don't really spend money on clothing, a big portion of my money gets spent on food. So I am going to create a new challenge for myself and try not to spend so much money on food. I found an article explaining how much the average person spends on food and ways to reduce spending on food.
Wish me luck! We'll see how this goes.

REFERENCES:
Ava L. McCall (1999); Speaking through Cloth: Teaching Hmong History and Cultures through Textiles Art, The Social Studies.

Yancey-Bragg. N'dea (2017) How to Save Money on Groceries and Dining Out, Nov. 27,2017.https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/budget-and-spending/2017/11/27/food-bill-how-save-money-groceries-dining-out/536108001/

No comments: