Sunday, May 19, 2019

Week 4: Jacqueline Yee

Jacqueline Yee
ASA 141
week 4


-->
It is week 4 of the challenge and I am actually surprised that I have not given into shopping or making any irrational purchases yet. This week school and work have really picked up, so there wasn’t much spare time to browse. Through the challenge so far, I’ve definitely become more aware of my purchase patterns and how to spend my money more wisely, which is always a good thing.

This week’s reading was about Hmong story cloths. I found the process of making the cloths very interesting since it was so intricate, they used embroidery, applique, and reverse applique. A lot of people upcycle second-hand clothes by embroidering and tailoring their own clothes. But this also made me think about how feasible it would be for someone to make their own clothes. While it would be sustainable, more environmentally friendly, and it would not encourage fast fashion, it might be really time-consuming. Also, sewing may not be a strong point for many people (like me). But I found a Youtube video about a fashion influencer who made her own clothes for a whole year. It was interesting to see her creativity through her clothes, and she did not even buy underwear or socks! In the comments, a lot of viewers were encouraged to make or tailor their own clothes to be more sustainable, which really spreads the message for change.

Works cited

1. Speaking Through the Cloth: Teaching Hmong History and Culture through Textile Cloth - Ava McCall


No comments: