Sunday, May 19, 2019

Week 4 - Be Green Challenge

Jinia Lee
Blog Post #4


I broke the challenge. I was doing well up until this weekend because I wanted a dress for grad photos, so I was putting in more effort to find one online and in stores. However, I didn't find one, and came out of Forever21 and Target with undergarments. I feel that since underwear wouldn't be very sanitary if given secondhand, I feel like my purchase is kind of justified and it is something that will be worn everyday. Although I broke the challenge, I would stop myself from overbuying things that I may not wear or use a lot. For example, I saw a tank top with a print that I really liked, but I wasn't fond of the fabric material and know that I have a few items with the same material that I don't wear. This constant reminder of not wanting to break the challenge and to be sustainable makes me appreciate well-made items.

I think this appreciation relates to this week's reading by McCall because Hmong people put a lot of time and effort in the textiles that they create. In comparison to fast fashion clothes, we don't see who manufactures or designs and how much work is being put into these items since they are mass-produced. Because of this, I feel that it's easier to care less and buy more because there's no connection to these items.

I've been getting a lot of video recommendations on upcycling thrifted clothes and it makes me want to learn how to sew so I can do the same thing. I think it would be a good hobby/skill for me to take up this summer since I will finally have more free time.



Works Cited:

McCall, Ava L. 1999. "Speaking through Cloth: Teaching Hmong History and Culture through Textile Art." The Social Studies 90(5): 230-236.

Christine 彩雲. "thrift flip with me ep3 👗 || thrifted quick fix." YouTube. Retrieved 19 May 2019.

No comments: