Sunday, May 19, 2019

Week 4- Sapana Gautam

Sapana Gautam
Be Green Challenge
Week 4

Week 3 was the hardest week of this challenge so far.  I wrote about how difficult it was for me to not shop.  I was constantly online browsing and I even found a loophole by allowing my mom to buy me the clothes I so desperately wanted.  I am proud to say that this week was the complete opposite-- Week 4 has been the easiest week so far.  I did not online shop (didn't even browse) and I had no desire to do so.  This may have been due to the fact that I was sick and did not have the energy to even stay up, but I will take my successes as they come.

This week we read about Hmong textile art, and how they create story cloths as a way of preserving their culture and history, as well as earn a source of income.  This reminded me of my love for sewing.  When I was younger, my mom would love to sew clothes.  She would sew some for me, herself, my cousins, all my dolls-- it was remarkable.  She taught me how to do so and I remember creating an entire wardrobe just for my stuffed animals.  By the time I got to high school, my love for sewing had turned into upcycling thrifted clothing and making them my own.  I took a lot of inspiration from YouTube videos.  My favorites are the "Thrifted Transformation" videos by coolirpa or "Thrift Flip" by JENerationDIY or Nava Rose.  All of these youtubers (who are also all Asian!!!!) use old/thrifted articles of clothing and transform them into something more modern.  I have not done anything of this matter recently, but I am considering tapping into this hobby again (maybe over the summer).  It's a great way to save money as well as be creative, productive, and sustainable!



References:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNShCrhIvrM

Ava L. McCall. "Speaking through Cloth: Teaching Hmong History and Culture through Textile Cloth"

No comments: