Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Be Green #3

Be Green

Blog #3
Vrinda Gupta
ASA 141
5/12/19

This week my dance team and I had a mini photoshoot on campus for promotion pictures, publicity for next year, and honestly just for fun. We all decided to match, making sure we all wore red, a bindi, and Indian jewelry. While reflecting, I realized how our idea of blending South Asian and Western fashion was so similar to that of communities of young Japanese people that reinvent fashion and create their identity by mixing and matching different styles. In Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion, the author states how youth subcultures of fashion of formed when these teens mix different high end and street styles together. Like them, young South Asian American women constantly navigate American fashion and how they can add ethnic accessories into their Western wardrobes to create a sense of uniqueness and  originality, while also connecting to their homeland’s fashion and culture.  For me, I blended my two identities by borrowing a red, off the shoulder crop top from a friend, and pairing it with a bindi, chunky bangles, and “kundan” earrings to finish the look. 

No comments: