Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5 - Qiuying Lin (Britney)

Qiuying Lin (Britney)
ASA 141
Week 5

It's a common sense that many girls will watch makeup tutorial video and look for recommendations from blogger before they buy some cosmetics. I always watch these videos and notice that the type of Western makeup and Asian makeup are totally different. Western makeup type is dramatic, structured with many layers and mature while Asian makeup is fresh, innocent and focus on a youthful look. We could find the same thing in the advertisement. As authors say in the article "Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women’s Magazine Advertisements", "The Sensual/Sexy type was used more often (27.1%) with Western models than with Asian models (10.8%), whereas the Cute/Girl-Next-Door type appeared more frequently with Asian (25.0%) than with Western models (15.7%)." We could know that Western models as more sexually liberal than Asians. But the makeup videos influence our Be Green challenge. In my personal experience, makeup video will stir up my desire to buy more cosmetics although I have already had many lipsticks. When I see the blogger becoming more beautiful by using cosmetics, I would think the quality of those products is good. In addition, because the blogger represents the recent trend of beauty, I believe what she uses is very popular so that I should buy it as a follower. Now I realize this is not good. This is the same as the reason why we buy fast fashion clothing. We just unconsciously follow the trend.

However, there are some Youtube bloggers start to lead us to a good future. Kristen Leo, a famous youtube makeup blogger, introduced her plan for a cycle sustainable business. In this video, she introduces her vintage collection, showing the charming points of each vintage cloth. I feel impressed because she cares about our future and wants to make this sustainable idea bigger under her influence. I recommend girls not to buy cosmetics immediately after watching Youtube bloggers video and to think if I really need the products. Furthermore, I recommend Youtube blogger to take their video seriously and put sustainability into first place.



Works Cited

  • Frith, K.T., Cheng, H., & Shaw, P. (2004), Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women’s Magazine Advertisements
  • Leo, Kristen. YouTube, YouTube, 22 May 2019, www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKbUVZVDU5g.

No comments: