Sunday, May 12, 2019

Week 3- Sapana Gautam

Sapana Gautam
Week 3

In last week's blog, I talked about how I didn't find the challenge that hard.  This week, I take back everything I said.  I constantly find myself online shopping- I'll scroll and scroll, put many items in my cart, but refuse to check out.  It takes a lot of determination to complete this challenge, and I regret underestimating it.  I do think I went back a little bit in the challenge though.  Although I did not buy anything myself, I did go shopping with my mom this weekend and she ended up buying me two dresses that I really liked.  I felt guilty and looked up Rue 21's social responsibility actions.  The website claims that "rue21 gives back to the environment as well. We believe that by reducing our environmental impact we can offer a better product for our customers. The focus in our stores, Support Center and Distribution Center, is to reduce energy consumption, encourage recycling, and challenge our associates and customers to think globally and act locally."  This made me feel better for my mom's purchase for me.

When I was at the mall, there was a moment where someone came in and asked if they sold "kimonos" because they needed one to complete their summer outfit.  This reminded me of the reading we did this past week on how Asian consumerism is trending at the moment.  Asian culture has become a fashion trend in the west.


References:
Thuy Linh Nguyen. "Cultural Economy of Asian Chic"
Rue 21. https://www.rue21.com/store/jump/static/Social-Responsibility/4400005

No comments: