Friday, May 17, 2019

Week3 Mother's Day Week

This past week was Mother's Day week. So, I was keen on treating myself in different ways. I did some online shopping but it was all on the second hand market. Then on the weekend I visited my tailor in the City (San Francisco). She had some pieces that we had up-cycled and I was keen to see it. One was an outrageous looking cape that she transformed into a skirt. I also got a custom cheongsam in an ikat design fabric. My tailor commented she would have not thought of that pattern since I can tell she uses more brocade for her fabrics. I purposely wanted an Indonesian feel with this cheongsam. The matching jacket is in a reverse applique material in a modern kimono style and piping to match the cheongsam. I was in heaven, so good.

On the same block as my tailor is a jewelry shop with pieces done by Mashka, an Eastern European designer who's always present at the store to answer questions and talk about her designs. I have only really looked at her pieces and not bought anything because their pricing is a bit high for me. But, for years I have been eyeing their signature design, the wafer bracelet (pods collection). I decided I would try on one this time. The design is a hammered silver bracelet partially covering a variety of stones. I was drawn to the amethyst set because of where my headspace is, but the multi-colored option made me think of chakras and the body alignment. In general I'm interested in stones beyond their aesthetic value as of late. The bracelets were too big for my tiny wrists so I thought that was out. But, then they said they have bangles which are adjustable and cheaper too. Bingo, I lucked out. I found the perfect multicolored bracelet with deep colored stones. It was still expensive for me, but I rationalized it was Mother's Day and I had to treat myself. But, the truth is, I do treat myself well on a daily basis, even as I make sacrifices for my family as a whole.

This post is to say, I really support local tailors, artists, and even vendors. I will pay more, even, for the personal touch, details, and craftswomanship that goes into the items I get. It's worth it for me. I want to be a part of the growing movement to put more value on local, sustainable, artisan works. It also makes me happy to have one of a kind pieces that really speak to my soul.

No comments: