Saturday, May 25, 2019

Be Green Challenge | Week 5

Rida Riaz
Week 5
ASA 141


Not being able to shop for any new piece in my wardrobe or even my makeup collection has been a little odd. I've found so many things I come across online or whenever I'm out that always intrigue me; however, keeping this challenge in mind, I've always looked past it and decided not to be sucked into consumerism. This week has been quite rough due to the stress of midterms and research papers piling on top of one another; therefore, I feel the need to go out or browse online through the shops to add something new in my life. I'm a huge impulse buyer, sad, but true. Whenever I feel sad or stressed out, that's when I have this urge to spend a little on myself as that makes me feel better. However, not going out and uselessly spending money has also been a positive feeling for me. I usually get so guilty when I buy things because I didn't need those items and besides putting money into my bank account, I would just spend that money. This challenge is allowing me to become more responsible and has toned down my need to spend for the days I feel stressed or sad.







This week's reading had to do with women in advertising across Asia and United States. Advertisement of beautiful girls in beauty and fashion influenced common women to go out and buy certain products in order to look just as confident as well as beautiful like the women shown in the ads. Therefore, how is one supposed to not partake in consumerism when it is advertised all around us? These advertisements invoke the public to spend money in order to look like the models in the ad resulting in finding confidence in oneself. However, wearing various styles of clothes or having the best makeup ins't how one gains confidence; rather, it is about how we strengthen our outlook and how we feel comfortable within' our bodies. One can simply switch up their style by restyling various different clothing pieces in their closet or mix around lipstick colors already available in their collection to switch up their makeup look. There are so many different possibilities, but being beautiful doesn't require you to spend carelessly. We are told to look a certain way or use a certain product to feel beautiful when in reality those models have a ton of obvious photoshop present and beauty as well as peace only comes from within'. 

The Korean 10 step beauty regime hit the world with a bang recently making everyone want to go and purchase Korean skincare in order to achieve that glass skin look. Does it work? I have no idea, but this concept has become so mainstream nowadays that everyone wants to try it out and hope for obtaining a perfect skin. This entire concept is not only lengthy, but it means reaching deep down into your pockets for the sake of beauty as having a 10 step beauty routine means purchasing 10 expensive products adding to consumerism.


Works Cited


Frith, Cheng, and Shaw. “Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in
Women’s Magazine Advertisements.”


kimdao. YouTube, YouTube, 10 Mar. 2018, www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxXQyk2T7g.

No comments: