Saturday, May 25, 2019

Week 5 - Be Green Challenge

Elaine Yang
Week 5
Be Green Challenge
ASA 141


I had a lot of difficulty with my Be Green Challenge this particular week because I had to shop several times for clothes to wear in my dance cover, as well as clothes for my job interview. I am currently on a K-pop dance team on campus and we constantly release K-pop dance covers through our YouTube channel. In order to emulate the K-pop music videos to the best of our ability, our members try to dress in clothes that are similar to what the stars wear in the music video. Most of the time the clothes we purchase are reusable, but for this cover, I had to purchase clothes that I definitely can not wear casually. To satisfy our relatively large following, we try to consistently post videos every week or two or so, leading to large quantity purchases of Fast Fashion items from Forever 21 that are tacky, and not versatile. While we try to return some of the items we purchase, this cycle of purchase and return continues.
I also had to purchase several articles for my job interview this week. For these pieces, I specifically went on more high-end retail websites to look for items that I can wear for a long time. After all, I am entering the professional world soon, so I thought it would be nice to look for long-term purchases rather than short-term purchases like I usually do.

(Chanel suit - an example of a well-crafted piece that can be a long-term purchase)

No comments: