Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5

Blog Entry #5
ASA 141
Reanna Lao

Week 5 of the Be Green Challenge was difficult. There was one super hot day in particular when I had class from 9am to 8pm, and I debated whether or not to get boba. After a four hour lab session, I had already finish my water from my refillable water bottle. I walked to a nearby water refilling station, however, the display on the machine was broken. I am in distrust of the Davis water containing metals and high levels of calcium. Therefore, I decided to treat myself to boba. I waited in line thinking about how this would make me fail the challenge, however, it was too hot and I just needed to quench my thirst. Thinking back, I am ashamed of how easily I give into my temptations. Next time, I will try to bring my mason jar to the boba store. On this note, I heard that Hong Kong has banned straws in stores like McDonalds. Sometimes I wonder how America could enforce environmental friendly laws in other countries while still failing to uphold those same rules. At times like these, I like to think of a quote from Gandhi which states, "Be the change you wish to see in the world".

This weeks reading on the differences in Western and Asian models reminded me of an episode of America's Next Top Model. In season 9, episode 6 titled "The Girl Who Gets a Mango," the models of the show were to create public service announcements for charity. One of the contestants of the show wore a dress created from newspapers. I think that it is important to incorporate environmental statements in shows like America's Top Model to show that fashion is not always pretty. I also think that the model in the photo below did a good job in making viewers aware of her charity.


References
America's Next Top Model Season 9 Episode "The Girl Who Gets a Mango"
Katherine Toland Frith. "Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women's Magazine Advertisements"

No comments: