Monday, May 20, 2019

Be Green Week2

Week2
Be Green
Xinyu Yang
In the second week of the Be Green Challenge, I  successfully to avoid buying any clothing or impulse spending. Do not buy clothes for two weeks, it does not seem difficult. But I bought skin care products for my mother when I have a 20% coupon at Sephora. But I think it is worth it. For my mother, it was her necessities. But it also made me realize that most of the discounts or points are a consumption trap. Merchants don't care if you need it, they just want someone to buy these products as soon as possible. Especially on Sephora's website, I saw a lot of suits. The price is very favorable. This attracts more consumers, but consumers may only need one of them. Caused an inevitable waste. Secondly, I noticed the contamination of tiny plastic particles, especially for the ocean. In fact, many of the cleansing oils we use today, or facial cleansers, have plastic particles. And this pollution will flow into the ocean, land, and even wildlife within the body. I will avoid buying similar products myself if I know it. Another major source of plastic particles is our clothes. Every time we wash clothes, the fine fibers fall off and are taken to a wastewater treatment plant or discharged into the environment. “According to a recent study cited by Water World, more than 700,000 microscopic plastic fibers could be released into the environment during each cycle of a washing machine. This has not yet been studied in the case of handwashing, which is more common in developing counties, but the effects could be significant there as well.”



Citation
Plastic planet: How tiny plastic particles are polluting our soil
https://www.unenvironment.org/news-and-stories/story/plastic-planet-how-tiny-plastic-particles-are-polluting-our-soil

No comments: