Monday, May 20, 2019

Week 4

Mahima Rupakula
913734418
ASA 141

Be Green Challenge 4

This week I really didn't have time to consider buying clothing. I did however, get a skirt from my boss that she could no longer fit into after having a baby, so I was able to reuse something and hopefully save a little waste. It was a professional skirt, which tend to be rather expensive so it was also helpful for me to have something that good quality as a college student. Then over the weekend, I was at a retreat in Yosemite and even though this wasn't fashion related, as we were grocery shopping we made sure to only obtain compostable plates and utensils. This also could be considered part of the be green challenge. In addition, I bought my first pack of reusable straws last week because I realize that I actually use straws a lot. Cutting down on plastic usage is definitely important in addition to paying attention to waste we create by participating in fast fashion and feeding cheap/inhumane labor practices. We also need to focus on how to better take care of our trash as a developing nation. A good example is how Singapore has the island of Semakau to serve as a dumping site/nature reserve for ash produced by incineration of their trash. However, even that island is running out of space. We all need to work on reducing our impact on not just fashion waste, but waste in general, because our planet is dying.

References:

Geddie, John. “In Singapore, Where Trash Becomes Ash, Plastics Are Still a Problem.” Reuters, Thomson Reuters, 6 June 2018, www.reuters.com/article/us-singapore-waste/in-singapore-where-trash-becomes-ash-plastics-are-still-a-problem-idUSKCN1J20HX.

Morgan, Andrew, director. The True Cost. Cmv-Laservision, 2016.

No comments: