Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Week 4 - Rhegille Baltazar

Week 4
Rhegille Baltazar

Okay, so I cheated. You know how the past few blog posts, I've been talking about graduation pictures and what I'm going to wear? My parents bought me dresses. From Pretty Little Thing and Fashion Nova. Not technically me but still defeats the purpose of the entire challenge. 

As I have mentioned before, I only shop and purchase things out of necessity. Because it is a rare occasion for me to ever purchase clothes, when necessity comes, it takes over. I return to the conversation of Why do we feel the need for things? As consumers, why is there a true need for certain products? Did I really need a new dress? I have a number of dresses in my closet already. Or was it my need to feel new?

This challenge in itself not only attempts to criticize society's consumer culture but causes one to look within one's self on why one participates in such consumer culture. As someone who despises what capitalism stands for, I have bougie tastes which is why there is such a conflict for me. How can I talk the talk if I cannot walk the walk? I am a true hypocrite and I will admit to that. Let's try for better next week.




No comments: