Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Be Green #2

Vrinda Gupta
ASA 141
Be Green Blog Post #2



Picture of "Senior Dance" performance
at the Indian Student Association's Annual Culture Show

This week my organization on campus was executing our annual Culture Show. The show is our biggest event of the year and there were many purchases to be made like full length mirrors for dressing rooms so performers could get ready, disposable serving trays for food, and center pieces for the banquet tables to say the least. It was really hard to be sustainable for our show but I tried my best wherever I could. For example, the plates and utensils guests used for food were compostable, and the flowers we gave to all of the captains and choreographers were donated by a florist who didn’t have a use for them. 
The Indian Student Association, the organization on campus that I am a part of, is really important to me in terms of creating spaces on campus to celebrate South Asian identities and our Culture Show is a big part of that. The connection I have to India and how it shapes my identity is similar to in Taste and Distinction: The Politics of Style, hijabis wear headdresses to express how they are very connected to their religion and ethnic identity. Similarly, my cultural organization and the process of putting on this annual show is important for me and my cultural identity.


No comments: