Saturday, May 25, 2019

Week 5 - Diane Tran

Diane Tran
ASA 141
Week 5

It is almost week 9 and I am glad that this challenge is almost over. It is very difficult to be self-conscious of this challenge because of this memorial day weekend. However, once this challenge is over I want to be more self-conscious about sustainability. This weekend made it very hard since I went to the mall with my mom and it was really hard to resist buying from stores such as H&M and Forever 21 since there were so many sales. My mom was even encouraging me to buy new shoes and clothing since we have not seen each other in a while and wanted to splurge on herself and me. However, I did not get anything and even got my mom to limit to only buying shoes.
The article "Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women's Magazine Advertisements" emphasizes how women are sexualized in magazines. These magazines also follows many trends. Everyone loves the following trends, even me. When we see everyone wearing the same shoes or clothes we can not help but start to think the trend is cute and can not help but even want it ourselves. I remember a few years ago, Nike shoes called  "NMDs" were all the hype and every single person I knew owned a pair, but now no one wears them anymore. Trends such as streetwear and etc are making waves. I have also sometimes been caught up in the wave of trends and admit that I would buy clothing and shoes that I do not need. I want to be more self-aware and conscious of this.

Image result for memorial day sales

Works Cited
Frith, Katherine Toland. Cheng, Hong. Shaw, Ping. "Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women's Magazine Advertisements" Sex Roles. 2004

No comments: