Saturday, May 11, 2019

Wk3 Be Green: Cogito, ergo sum...

Ziyu Wang
14 Days into the Green Challenge...

I gaze into the night sky. Without shopping, my mind has never been my clearer. I can no longer find joy in the materialistic world, and instead I begin to forge my path in the spiritual. I can finally see things as what they really are. I no longer desire consumerist commodities. What I crave is knowledge. I want answers. How could the universe be infinite? How could anything be infinite? But if the universe is finite, that means there's another finite entity containing the universe, then another and another and another until infinity. This proves that universe is indeed infinite, but how? What is infinity anyway? Why is my mind keep bugging me about this? What's even inside of my head? Which is more mysterious: the human mind or the depth of the ocean? Is our consciousness even real? Is LSD really a gateway to another dimension, or is my mind just tricking me into thinking that it is? Or maybe the other-dimensional beings is tricking me into thinking that it isn't but in reality it actually is? Is there even such a thing as the spiritual? Where do we even go after we die? Does anyone really truly die? I must achieve immorality. Sometimes I like to think that I am the only one truly alive. Everyone around me are just a scenario in the simulation, waiting to be triggered. But if I am the only one alive, then am I really alive? What is the meaning of existence if there is no one there to witness it? So many questions, yet so little time...

This has been another uneventful week. Not only am I not purchasing nonessential things as usual, I'm actually spending less on food as well since I am on OMAD. This week's reading there is this article discussing Japanese street fashion, and how these teens revolutionizes the youth culture by coming up with their own identities and style. In a sense they are participating the Green Challenge too: these middle school and high school students make their own clothes and accessories that best showcases their subculture instead of buying fast fashion pieces. This is another aspect of the challenge that makes it fun and challenging. Can you achieve your goal without paying your way out of it? I'm sure those teens feel more proud and satisfied with their own design than simply purchasing something that they think is nice but will just end up throwing them away in a few weeks anyway. These youngsters not only are influencing the fashion world and youth culture in ways that no professional designer ever will, but also are saving money and the environment at the same time. That is true fashion and the essence of the green challenge.
Image result for anti consumerism diy
Reference:
Kawamura, Yuniya. Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion. 2006. DOI: 10.1177/0011392106066816
The Anti-Consumerist Lifestyle. Retrieved from:https://tobykurien.com/images/the-anti-consumerist-lifestyle//consumerism.jpeg

No comments: