Sunday, May 19, 2019

Week 4 | Still Going Strong

Rida Riaz
ASA 141
May 19, 2019
Be Green Challenge Week 4



It's week 4 and frankly, I don't know where the time has gone. As I'm preparing for midterms and research papers, I have forgotten that a substance as shopping exists in this world. I've been so focused and driven to graduate with good grades this quarter that I've forgotten to just browse the malls or online clothing websites. This challenge is allowing me to become smarter with my money and as a graduating student, we must spend wisely as we are venturing out into the adult world. Hopefully, I aspire to continue the Go Green Challenge even after it's over as I've been feeling very good about how I'm not spending unnecessarily.


In this week's reading, we read about the traditional textiles the Hmong create and it opened a site of creativity and emotions for me. The clothing pieces they sew wasn't all about the latest fashion trend or the use of expensive fabric; rather, it was all about authenticity and transparency of showing history, pain and rejuvenation merely through a cloth. We get worked up on the day to day life about trying to have the cutest outfit on the streets or keep up with our Instagram aesthetic that we almost forget what our clothes or style represents. This article allowed me to think about ways that I can incorporate my heritage into my style and at least include a voice of a minority living in the United States in order to show others the history as well as love I have for my homeland.

paj ntaub 

Traditional Hmong Dress 

 Here, I discovered this YouTube video about a woman exploring the Hmong culture: food, fashion and traditions. I would suggest to play this video from '5:00min' as that's where the fashion portion starts. I liked how this video incorporated many different fashion pieces and styles of Hmong fashion and I found them all so pretty! The delicate details and bright colors depicted culture, intricacy and delicateness of the dresses themselves.



Works Cited:

Ava L. McCall (1999) Speaking through Cloth: Teaching Hmong History and Culture through Textile Art, The Social Studies, 90:5, 230-236, DOI: 10.1080/00377999909602421
Neighborhoods, Ethnic. YouTube, YouTube, 13 May 2018.

No comments: