Thursday, May 9, 2019

Week 3

Sidney Siu
ASA 141
Be Green Challenge

After another week of the Be Green Challenge, I realize that it is getting harder for me to resist shopping as new events are popping up in my schedule. Most of these events request semi-formal/business attire, so it is saddening for me not being able to buy new outfits and having to constantly reuse the same ones. I do have to say though, I'm lucky that I haven't outgrown a lot of clothes from high school, so I'm able to find some old outfits from conventions that I went to in the past and use those for the business attire.
Image result for romweI do recognize how fast fashion impacts this challenge greatly. Just few months ago, I came across an online-only, fast fashion company that sells cute clothes at a very cheap price and are often on sale because they are produced in China. They have a variety of styles including casual wear, dressy attire, and so much more. Being that I have a lot of events popping up, it is hard for me to resist going on their website to find a bunch of cheap clothes. They're so cheap that their even harder to resist! Although, I know that this is exactly why I should stop ordering from them. After reading this week's readings about the Asian chic trend, I notice how many Asian inspired clothes are on the website, but all the models are white. I always thought of this company to be Asian owned because of the name and Asian influence, but now that I see all the white models and that many American brands have their products made in Asian countries, I really don't know what the background of the brand is. I agree with Erica Gonzalez, writer of "Fast Fashion: Unsustainable, RACIST, not cute," who says that fast fashion isn't even cool because fashion is supposed to be an outlet of expression. It's really just widely bought into because over 10 million people in the U.S. are considered low-income status.

Related imagehttps://urge.org/fast-fashion-unsustainable-racist-not-cute/

No comments: