Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5: Be Green - Shang Her

Shang Her
Be Green
Blog #5

Since middle school, I've noticed other girls use makeup and as I got older, I myself use makeup as well. I began using makeup when I was in high school and now in college, I have purchased more palettes, lipsticks, mascara, eyeliner, blush, foundation, and a lot more products. When I go shopping for these makeup products I look for the best bargain for the best products. I never thought about where and how these products are made.   
This video is by Refinery 29, they went to India to find the source of mica, an ingredient used in most makeup products. Children as old as 4-5 years old work in these mines and make less than 25 cents a day. When asked why they mine, the children respond by saying that this is what they have to do to keep food on the table. There was a family in the video that lost their daughter. The mine caved in and the daughter was crush to death. Even after losing their daughter, the family continues with the mining because it is the only source of income. As the makeup industry boom, these children's lives are impacted negatively by every makeup product that is bought in America and other first world countries.

After watching this video, I decided to go through my makeup products and see how much of my products have mica in it. More than half of my products have mica listed as the ingredients. My eyeshadow palettes, blush, and bronze were the only ones I was able to find that have mica. My other makeup products didn't have the ingredients listed on it. My lip products, mascara, and eyeliners have the ingredients listed on the packaging but once I start using the product, I throw away the cardboard or plastic that was used to wrap the makeup products. From named brand to drug store, each of these makeup products had mica. This does definitely change my thought process for purchasing makeup.    



No comments: