Saturday, May 11, 2019

Week 3

Mahima Rupakula
ASA 141
5/11/19

Week 3: Be Green Challenge

This week I think I may have gone back a little on the Be Green Challenge. It wasn't me who purchased any items, but my boyfriend bought me a gift that was new clothes to train in. I had also predicted it would be training that would make me need new clothes, as when I train intensively i tend to rip my leggings or burn out my shoes really quickly. I tore a pair of leggings and I was actually not planning to replace them, but he wanted to surprise me. I think an alternative would be to maybe try to fix my old leggings or get to the root of the problem and figure out a way to make them last a little bit longer. Specialty clothing/accessories, such as athletic wear, is usually monopolized by one or two companies so that these niche parts of fashion can be price jacked and end up wasting consumer money and resources. This was also discussed in the good hair video that we watched, in which Asian owned black hair brands are hiking up prices because they do not have competition. This type of price jacking creates black markets for hair in poor regions, in which people are stealing hair off girls heads just to make cheaper hair to compete with these companies.

Human hair harvest discussed in good hair from Tirpati, Andhra Pradesh

References

In Class: GoodHairMovie. YouTube, YouTube, 31 July 2009, www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So.

Outside: “The Secret History of Buying and Selling Hair.” Smithsonian.com, Smithsonian Institution, 14 Nov. 2016, www.smithsonianmag.com/history/secret-history-buying-and-selling-hair-180961080/.



No comments: