Sunday, May 5, 2019

Week 2

Sapana Gautam
Be Green Challenge Week 2

As Week 1 of the Be Green Challenge comes to an end, I have to admit that I did forget about the challenge.  Earlier this week, I went to the Galleria at Roseville and just a couple days ago, I was at Forever 21.  However, I am proud to say that I did not buy anything.  There were a few items I was very tempted to buy, but I did not do so because I personally did not think they were worth the price.  I would consider myself a bargain hunter; I constantly find myself browsing the sales racks rather than the clothes on display.  In doing so, I find that my options are very limited, thus I tend not to buy anything.

That being said, as week 2 begins, I am less hopeful about my success in sticking to the challenge.  Although I will try my utter best, I have two banquets to attend June 1st and 2nd, and I have nothing formal to wear.  Before remembering this challenge, I was already browsing my options and have a few things waiting in various online shopping carts.  I will attempt to find something at a thrift store or borrow something from a friend; however, I am not that hopeful in that success.

In the article "Cultural Economy of Asian Chic", Nguyen mentions how magazines are "manufacturers of fashion" as the garments they display are "more easily and widely consumed than the real thing".  I believe this can be applied in today's online shopping craze.  Because everything is online and it is much easier and faster to find what we are looking for (plus more), it is more tempting to buy items that we don't quite necessarily need.  Moreso, there are online advertisements specialized to our web searches from Facebook to Instagram.  Temptation is everywhere we go!!



References:



No comments: