Friday, May 17, 2019

Week 4 - Diane Tran

Diane Tran
ASA 141
Week 4

This past week has been easy for me because I did not really have anything to buy for. I do admit that sometimes I did have the urge to buy something whether it was a shirt, shoes, or even jewelry. I am still looking for a dress to wear to my cousin's wedding however I want to find some way to reuse someone's dress to fight consumerism. After this quarter is over, I want to donate clothes and shoes to goodwill or any other thrift store because I realized I have so many clothes that I do not even wear. This way I can help implement fighting consumerism by this small change. This week we learned about the Hmong culture being represented in the textiles that they create. I learned the significance of how the history of their past ancestors and generations were brought down to the family by women learning how to sew these textiles. It represented their culture's stories and experiences. I feel like through this reading I want to learn more about other cultures clothing styles. For example, whenever I wear the Vietnamese traditional dress called the "áo dài," I feel so elegant and graceful. To me, I feel it is the essence of the Vietnamese culture. The elegant and soft features of this dress emphasizes Vietnam as a rich traditional culture. It is said that the dress "covers everything but hides nothing" meaning it still accentuates the form of a woman.  The "áo dài" is our own expression of identity and the spirit of the Vietnamese culture. 
Image result for school ao dai
 Image result for wedding ao dai

Works Cited:
“Ao Dai Uniform in Vietnamese Schools.” Vietnam Vacation, 25 Apr. 2019, www.vietvisiontravel.com/post/ao-dai-uniform-in-school/.
“FAST ORDERING FORM.” Aodai Heaven, heavenaodai.com/wr326/.



No comments: