Sunday, May 19, 2019

Week 4 Vintage Shop

Blog Entry #4
Reanna Lao


Week four has been pretty much the same as the last few weeks. So far, I have not bought anything new. Today, I went to Sacramento to interview vintage shop owners for my final project. I think this is the first time to spend so much time in a vintage shop. Some things that I have noticed is that people are very friendly. Normally, when I go to the mall, I encounter rude customers, so this was a nice change in environment. The shopping experience was also quite nice since the owners hand pick all of the stores items. I found owners and staff members very knowledgeable about the products they are selling. From what I observe, all owners have a shared knowledge of sustainable fashion. My views on vintage fashion has changed after talking to store owners. I will definitely be going back to this vintage store in the near future. To learn more about why you should shop vintage, the article An ethical decision: fast fashion vs. vintage fashion by fashion revolution makes a great argument. I think the article makes some convincing points about the sourcing of ones clothes. On this note, I think there is a similarity with this weeks reading and vintage fashion. In both cases, the sources of textile is clearly known, unlike with fast fashion. In this weeks reading, I found it really interesting that Hmong people are involved in the entire process of textile making.


Sources:

Ava L. McCall. "Speaking through Cloth: Teaching Hmong History and Culture through Textile Cloth"

https://www.fashionrevolution.org/uk-blog/an-ethical-decision-fast-fashion-vs-vintage-fashion/

No comments: