Sunday, May 12, 2019

Week 3: Zoe Martin

Be Green Challenge
Week 3
Zoe Martin

Sephora is My Kryptonite

After our field trip last week, I went to Sephora in San Francisco since there isn’t one in Davis. I did purchase a few things, but they were everyday commodities. I bought a refill of my perfume and moisturizer, which I absolutely needed. I was running so low. However, I am making a conscious effort to use “cleaner” beauty products--free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, SLS, SLES and cruelty free. This moisturizer that I have been using is from the brand, Farmacy. The company strives to use natural ingredients that are locally grown. This made me curious about how the company attempts to be more sustainable; thus, I looked on their website to see if they had anything about their sustainability efforts.


I appreciate their efforts to be more sustainable, not just in the ingredients they put into their formulas, but also into their packaging. They use little glass jars for their Honey Drop lightweight moisturizer that I use, which are recyclable but can also be used as little containers or even planters!

In an attempt to connect this challenge to the reading, I was curious as to whether or not any influencers have sponsored or supported this product. Although the reading, “Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion” discussed the influence of teens in the fashion industry, I think that beauty and lifestyle influencers on YouTube carry a great weight in the fashion and beauty community/industry. For instance, Beauty Within, a YouTube channel that posts beauty and wellness content posted a review about “clean” skincare lines, Drunk Elephant and Farmacy. With a following of 1.5 million subscribers, this video has over 666,000 views. Their opinions can inform consumers as to whether or not to support these brands. Additionally, many influencers go on to collaborate with clothing or cosmetic brands to produce their own products. I think these business moves should be done with more sustainable practices in mind. For instance, influencer Sierra Furtado did a collaboration with Garage, a fast-fashion brand. What sustainable measures did she take to ensure her carbon footprint for this collaboration was as low as possible? I hope that these influencers use their societal impact to help promote more sustainable lifestyles and awareness.



References:

“Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion” by Yuniya Kawamura

No comments: