Saturday, May 11, 2019

Green Challenge #3

So-Hyeon (Diana) Park
Green Challenge #3

Confession time you all. As predicted, the Green Challenge has been challenging, and I ended up buying some products from Amazon, Urban Outfitters, and Sephora since they were on sales due to Mother's Day. I know it takes at least a month to be cleansed from materialistic consuming habit, and I failed - the temptation was too difficult to resist. Now that my budget is quite tight to run, I might be more motivated to fully commit to the challenge. 

Being curious about why there are so many sales yet how do companies benefit from this marketing strategy, I did a little research, and here is why the companies promote sales obsessively: The sales not only attract future-potential-long-lasting customers but also help the companies "get rid of surplus stock" (The Top 10). There should be a tight connection between the frequency of sales and fast fashion. I wonder if affordable prices at the Shibuya 109 Department Store in Japan have to do with businesses trying to get rid of products, which will be out of trend within a few weeks. Here is a video I found online to motivate myself why I am part of the Green Challenge and we should not partake the fast fashion industry:
. Happy Green Challenge you all!















Works Cited
Kawamura, Yuniya. “Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion.” Current Sociology, vol. 54, no. 5, 2006, pp. 784–801., doi:10.1177/0011392106066816.
“The Top 10 Most Popular Types of Sales Promotions.” AmeriCommerce, 2014, The Top 10 Most Popular Types of Sales Promotions.
Vogue, Teen. “The Problem With Fast Fashion | Teen Vogue.” YouTube, YouTube, 21 Sept. 2018, www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq0--DfC2Xk.

No comments: