Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5

Week 5
Fara Suiza
ASA141
May 26, 2019


This week I didn’t buy any clothes again. I feel like the urgency to buy new clothes has faded away, but I do see myself buying a graduation dress next week, which I can’t NOT do. The end of this challenge will come to a close soon and I feel slightly accomplished, but at the same time, I know that I didn’t do this challenge well to the best of my ability. Rather than buying clothes, I did end up buying other things like the iPad Pro, the pencil and other computer accessories, such as a replacement charger within this past week.

I suppose my version of excessive consumerism differs from that of fashion consumption, but I do recognize that the effects of my purchases remain the same. In both cases, the tech products I invest in also use similar labor environments and labor circumstances in Asia in order for that product to be in my hands today. Because I feel as though my tech purchases are more sustainable than fast fashion clothing, I do not feel as much guilt as probably would if I had bought clothes from stores like Forever 21 or H&M. For the price that I paid, I feel as though it is more fair at that price point because it is within my expectation that it will last me multiple years down the line, making it a worthy investment, compared to  fast fashion, which might only last 2 to 3 washes.


Khandual, Asimananda & Pradhan, Swikruti. (2018). Fashion Brands and Consumers Approach Towards Sustainable Fashion. 10.1007/978-981-13-1268-7_3. 

https://youtu.be/FbsGRknLYg4

No comments: