Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5 - Verduzco

Week 5
ASA 141
Alejandra Verduzco

Week 5 of the Be Green Challenge and I have yet to buy anything that wasn't food again. I did go to target and like a bad habit I always look around the clothing section but I didn't feel the urge or temptation to buy anything. First of because I am broke but also because I had this challenge subconsciously. It's just not a priority of mine to buy clothing since I already have everything I need. However, in my last post, I said I was going to create a new challenge for myself on not buying so much food and spending on fast food. Luckily I have done better, no outside food but I did do some grocery shopping however it will last me until finals week. However yesterday and today I keep getting bombarded with a shit load of emails from different retail stores letting me know about their sales that are going on because of memorial day. Honestly, the temptation was there. The deals were pretty good. Especially since I just found out I will be going to Cancun for 2 weeks during the summer and I don't have very much summer clothing. Luckily I was blessed with an amazing creative mother who kindly said she would make me and my sister crochet tops and bralette style tops for the summer. An example of what she is making right here:

This weeks reading really showed the truth behind how women in advertisements are depicted, both in the US and other places around the globe. The article showed that women have always been depicted as sexy and sensual in US magazines with little or no diversity in ethnicity and body shape. This type of advertisements causes a lot of problem for women in the world because this is the standard they are set to look like. This is what people consider women like and if you don't look like them who are not considered beautiful. This form of advertisements does nothing but harm women into thinking they are not beautiful unless they look or dress a certain way. Fortunately in the recent year's body positive and ethnicity positive activism has been increasing the way women look like in advertisements. More body positive campaigns have been developing spreading the effect of having diverse models. An article was written by Anna Kessel describing her own personal experience with body shaming and how this movement to create more diverse models helps women to make peace with their looks and bodies.
Has the male population ever dealt with self-esteem issues from the male models shown in advertisements and magazines?


REFERENCES:
Frith, Cheng. and Shaw. "Race and Beauty: A comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women's Magazine Advertisements."
Kessel, Anna. "If you're different you don't have to hate yourself," July 23. 2018. The Guardian.



No comments: