Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5

Sidney Siu
ASA 141
Blog 5

Week 5 of the Be Green Challenge has been the same as the previous weeks for the most part. The only slight difference is that I stocked up on food that was on sale at the convenience store in my apartment complex. Now that I'm reflecting back on it, this could be seen as breaking the challenge. However, at the time, I didn't think I was giving in because it was all food that would been sold and eaten eventually. The problem with this action is that it will contribute to the waste from packaging. As a whole, I still think that I have been pretty good about being conscious of this challenge. I haven't purchased any new clothing for over a month even though I want to.
Image result for a&f adsRelating to this week's reading, I do pay attention to the portrayal of models more closely now. It seems that most of the ads that are marketed towards my style don't go for the sexy look. I was surprised to notice that even the makeup ads of brands I use are presenting a more simplistic look. I think this is because marketers are now realizing that women want to models/women who look more like them. According to the Business Insider article listed below, tons of advertisers have ditched the sexualization of ads to adjust to the newer market of teens. I believe this is a good thing because it creates a more inclusive illustration of society, but I also believe that people shouldn't be sexualized based on the brands they wear.

https://www.businessinsider.com/brands-are-no-longer-using-sexy-advertisements-2015-11

No comments: